Follow the instructions below to install StyleGuard.
System and Software Requirement:
- Mac OS X 10.6.8 or above (Snow Leopard), 10.7 (Lion), 10.8 (Mountain Lion), 10.9 (Mavericks) or 10.10 (Yosemite)
- Office for Mac 2011 (Mavericks or earlier,) Office for Mac 2011 or 2016 (Yosemite or later)
- Safari 5.17 or above
- Open a browser window and copy the link below to download the setup file:For OS X 10.9 (Mavericks) or earlier: https://styleguard.com/download/APSetup.dmgFor OS X 10.10 (Yosemite) or later: https://styleguard.com/download/APSetup_Yosemite.dmg
- Save the downloaded APSetup.dmg or APSetup_Yosemite.dmg to your desktop or other place where you can find it easily.
- Open the downloaded DMG file (double-click on the icon for the downloaded DMG file).
- Follow the on-screen instructions in the installer window:Step 1: Install the Mono Framework:
- Double-click on the icon for the MonoRuntime.webloc to download the setup file:For OS X 10.9 or earlier: For OS X 10.10:
- Run the downloaded file to setup the Mono Framework:[Below is an example using Firefox as your default browser.]
- Click on the Continue button in the subsequent dialogs and accept the license agreement to continue the installation of the Mono Framework:
- Click on the Close button to exit the Mono Framework installation after it is completed:
Step 2: Install StyleGuard:
- Drag the StyleGuard.app icon to the left of the arrow to the Application folder to the right of the arrow.
[Note: You will need approximately 300MB of free disk space to install all the components in StyleGuard.]
- If this is the first time StyleGuard is being installed, please follow the instructions in the Activation section to activate the 2014 AP Stylebook style collection.
- Start StyleGuard by clicking on the StyleGuard icon in the Applications folder.
- If you are using Mac OS X 10.8 to 10.10, you currently have to perform a one-off authorization for StyleGuard. From Finder, go to the Applications folder, control-click or right-click on the StyleGuard application icon and select Open. When prompted with a dialog box, choose Open again. This procedure only needs to be done only once.
- To quickly access StyleGuard subsequently: when StyleGuard is running, control-click or right-click on the StyleGuard icon in the Dock and select the option Keep In Dock.]
- StyleGuard includes the latest version of the 2014 AP Stylebook that requires activation.[Note: The activation code that is required to activate a style collection is usually included in the email sent to you after your purchase of StyleGuard or the specific style collection.]To activate a collection:
- Start StyleGuard, if it is not currently running.
- Step 1: Click on the Style Collections button at the bottom of the StyleGuard window.
- Step 2: Click on the label 2014 AP Stylebook to select the 2014 AP Stylebook style collection.
- d. Step 3: Click on the Activate button. NOTE: Activation REQUIRES Internet connection.
- Enter the required information, including the activation code, and then click on the Activate Collection button.
- Once the style collection is activated, the expiration date and status should be updated accordingly.
- Start StyleGuard by clicking on the StyleGuard icon in the Applications folder.[Hint: To quickly access StyleGuard subsequently: When StyleGuard is running, control-click or right-click on the StyleGuard icon in the Dock and select the option Keep In Dock.]
- StyleGuard includes the latest version of the 2014 AP Stylebook collection that requires activation. If you haven’t activated your copy of the 2014 AP Stylebook collection, please activate the style collection following the instructions in the Activation section.
- StyleGuard provides searchable content from the latest AP Stylebook. This content is being updated frequently. StyleGuard also provides automatic checking for many AP style errors. Many rules have been encoded and more are being added. Please review:https://styleguard.com/datasheet for a summary of what StyleGuard checks.
- StyleGuard by default runs in page view. It can also run in book view. Page view works better for laptop users and book view works better for users with larger monitors.
Figure 1: StyleGuard in Page View
Figure 2: StyleGuard in Book View
In page view, words in the Microsoft Word document that match AP styles are being shown one match at a time:
In book view, words in the Microsoft Word document that matches AP style are being shown in the StyleGuard window as a list on the left pane with the description on the right pane:
- When navigating through the list of matches, the available actions are: Insert into the current document a Microsoft Word comment containing the style description. Apply the proposed change by replacing the original word(s) with the suggestion in the current document. Apply the proposed change by replacing all the original word(s) in the current document that match this style rule with the suggestion. Ignore this rule, words that match this style rule will no longer be shown in the match list until StyleGuard is restarted.
- There are many ways that StyleGuard can be used. Below are three sample scenarios:
6.1 Reviewing an existing document
- Open an existing Microsoft Word document.
- Start StyleGuard, if it is not currently running.
- Step through the list of AP style matches and, if appropriate, apply one of the proposed actions – Insert a comment for this match, Apply this change, Apply this change throughout the document, and Ignore this rule.[Hint: click on the Show Summary button at the bottom of the StyleGuard window to get the number of potential issues found.]
- Save the file.[Note: If your document contains any style matches, StyleGuard inserts a bookmark in the document to indicate the current match. Before you close the document, please either close StyleGuard or disable style checking using the Enable/Disable Style Checking button. This will ensure that the bookmark inserted by StyleGuard is being deleted from the document.]
6.2 Creating and editing a new document
- Create a new or open an existing Microsoft Word document.
- Start StyleGuard, if it is not currently running.[Hint: if you are editing an existing document that had never been checked by StyleGuard, it is recommended that you first go through all the potential style errors before start editing. See 6.1 Reviewing an existing document for more detail instructions.]
- Type in the new text, StyleGuard will scan the text and update the list of style matches as you type. The match that is closest to where the cursor is will be highlighted in the StyleGuard window as the “current match.”
[Hint: if you are not familiar with AP style, you may consider toggling on Show Informational Entries by clicking on the Show Informational Entries button at the bottom of the StyleGuard window. StyleGuard will match all the entries in theAP Stylebook providing valuable information about that entry. For example, the entry may match the word “affect” and provide examples on when to use “affect” versus “effect.” Similarly, AP Stylebook provides details on when to use “since” versus “because,” “between” versus “among,” “over” versus “more than,” etc. [Note: Turning Show Informational Entries on will cause more frequent display updates both in the document you are editing due to the frequent changes in the bookmark to show the matched word and also in the StyleGuard window updating the information for the current match. This can be a distraction but the information provided could be useful for some StyleGuard customers who need the additional information.]
- Save the file.
[Note: If your document contains any style matches, then before you close the document make sure that either StyleGuard is closed or StyleGuard text processing is stopped using button. This will make sure that the bookmark inserted by StyleGuard is not left behind in the document.]
6.3 Browse content in the AP Stylebook
- Start StyleGuard if it is not currently running
- Click on the View the content in the enabled style collection button to switch to “Browse Mode.”
- You can type into the search box to narrow your search. All entries that contain the search string in the name or description are included in the search result.
- You can also search for a specific entry by first clicking on one of the letter (#, A, B, … Z) in the index tab and then scroll down to find the specific entry you are interested in.[Hint: click on the View Matches button to view the matches.][Hint: click on the Toggle Page/Book View button to switch back to page view.]
Have a question that is not covered by this document?
This document covers the basic scenarios you may encounter when using StyleGuard. If you have a question that was not covered in the document, please do not hesitate to email StyleGuard Customer Support at email@example.com.